Chairman: Rick Mobley, RS&H, Inc.
Vice Chairman: Susan Fisher, Atkins
*Call for meeting times and location: 281-875-0660
The Committee will inform NHA members, north Houston citizens and the NHA Board of Directors of transportation related activities by providing support and input to elected officials and agencies in regard to strategies for improved mobility in the north Houston region. Further, the committee will strive to ensure it receives information covering the many sides of an issue to better position it for informed and balanced recommendations.
Advocate Project Funding
- Advocate to federal, state and local elected officials for funding to maintain current transportation infrastructure and accommodate future growth.
- Support I-45 north project. Continue monitoring the North Houston Highway Improvement Project (TxDOT – Houston District) regarding proposed improvements on the following sections of highway: IH 45 north from the US 59/SH 288 interchange to Beltway 8 north.
- Monitor the SH 249 project. Advocate for the SH 249 Toll Road in Montgomery County and into Grimes County.
- Evaluate projects that are identified in the 2014 South Montgomery County Mobility Plan and determine support as appropriate. Review for additional east-west mobility improvement projects.
- Evaluate projects that are identified in 2014 Woodlands Township Transit Study and support as appropriate.
- Evaluate various agency bond elections and make recommendation to the NHA Board of Directors to support or oppose as appropriate.
- Advocate for research and development of truck-only lanes for highly congested corridors.
- Advocate for a connector between the Hardy Toll Road and Beltway 8 East.
- Advocate for an increased percentage of toll road funds to be allocated for mobility projects throughout the county.
Legislative and Regulatory Issues
Monitor transportation issues and provide public comments and/or support as needed.
- Identify and advocate for transportation issues that should be carried forward in the 2017 Texas Legislative Session.
- Identify transportation issues that warrant advocacy and action, including local option funding. Prepare comment papers.
- Continue membership in the Transportation Advocacy Group (TAG), which advocates for more adequate funding of public transportation, works to educate citizens and elected officials on the need for increased funding for the planning, design and construction of transit and transportation mobility projects for the Houston region.
- Provide update on regulations regarding air quality, environmental processes, and transportation funding.
- Meet with NHA regional elected officials to present comment papers and/or project funding advocacy.
Strategic Mobility Plan (SMP)
An SMP Task Force is in place to keep the public and membership updated and informed on regional transportation projects.
- Update and publish a new Strategic Mobility Plan.
SH 99 (Grand Parkway)
Monitor and provide input/support when appropriate.
- Advocate for additional Grand Parkway Direct Connectors not currently included in plans.
- Work to improve east-west mobility which will be needed to access the Grand Parkway Segments H1 and I.
Rail and High Capacity Transit Issues
- Support METRO in its efforts to develop their long range plan.
- Monitor and encourage further development of transit in the North Corridor to extend light rail transit from Northline to Bush Intercontinental Airport.
- Support issues related to the Texas Central High-Speed Railway, Gulf Coast Rail District, and other rail entities formed that may impact the Houston region.
- Monitor and provide input to agencies on the development of commuter rail corridors within the Houston region including the 290 rail study.
- Advocate for a dedicated funding source for the Gulf Coast Rail District.
- Monitor, and comment when appropriate, on regional freight rail studies.
- Provide opportunities for the railroad companies to inform membership on changes and improvements to movement of freight/goods within the region. As appropriate, provide support for needed projects.
- Advocate funding of the Texas Railroad Relocation and Improvement Fund.