Chairman: Jeff Casbeer, RPS Klotz Associates
Brandon Tuck, Vinson & Elkins LLP
Call for meeting times and location: 281-875-0660
The Committee seeks to accomplish the following:
- Keep North Houston Association (NHA) members abreast of environmental issues and regulations important to communities in North Houston and surrounding areas.
- Identify and support measures to implement appropriate strategies that improve North Houston and the surrounding areas.
- Foster communication among government entities, resources agencies, and community and business interests.
- Strive to ensure the committee and its constituent members receive information covering the many sides of an issue to better position them for informed and balanced recommendations and decision-making.
Advocate for Environmental Issues
- As appropriate, conduct special events, provide resolutions and letters, and participate in meetings with agencies, legislators, or other entities.
- Identify, monitor and comment, as necessary, on proposed local, state or federal agencies’ environmental initiatives, regulations, and legislation.
- In concert with the NHA Development Trends Committee, enhance the membership’s understanding of and advocate for Low Impact Development (LID), green building, and sustainable building/development.
- Coordinate with Houston-Galveston Area Council to provide updates on the State Implementation Plan (SIP).
- Monitor and report on proposed water projects resulting from Proposition 6, the State Water Implementation Fund.
- Quality and Resources - Monitor efforts by local/regional agencies to ensure a long-term, adequate, high-quality and economical water supply for the North Houston area. These areas/actions may include:
- Conversion to surface water within unincorporated areas of Harris County, in compliance with the Harris-Galveston Subsidence District regulatory plan, and, in Montgomery County, in compliance with Lone Star Groundwater Conservation District regulatory plan.
- Programs and policies of the City of Houston, Region H Water Planning Group, Harris-Galveston Subsidence District, and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality’s Implementation of Texas Water Quality Certification Rules.
- Flooding/Drainage - Monitor plans for flood and drainage improvements and regulations by Harris County, Harris County Flood Control District, and other local agencies, cities, improvement districts, and coalitions.
- Educate Committee on water conservation, water re-use and recycling, and related energy industry research (including, for example, efforts to address water use for hydraulic fracturing).
Parks and Recreation
- Participate in and support the Greens Bayou Coalition, the Cypress Creek Flood Control Coalition, and other organizations identified by the Committee.
- Advocate for continued Spring Creek Greenway Project development by both Montgomery and Harris counties.
- Advocate for funding agencies to continue efforts in park and landscape development.
- Advocate for a county-wide efforts to develop our bayou system as a recreational amenity, primarily with trails.